Weekly Trials and Tribulations of the Scenic City Chapter of the TTA

Weekly Trials. Tribulations and Photos experienced while hiking

Heiss Mtn. to Big Mountain Creek 8.12.14

8.12.14    The Soddy Daisy Chapter’s hike for Tuesday was scheduled to depart Durham Street parking lot in Soddy Daisy promptly at 8:00 a.m. and carpool to the Heiss Mtn trailhead just off of Hwy. 111.  To be honest I don’t usually hike the Tuesday hikes due to their short mileage and their difficulty level being typically easy to moderate but today I had a special invitation from a good friend to attend since we had not been able to hike together in a while due to his volunteer work on Saturdays.  Don’t get me wrong it’s not that I feel the short hikes are beneath me but it’s due to me trying to achieve the most bang for the buck (sort of speaking) when I’m out spending my time on the trail. 
So here we were Tuesday morning, the sun was shining, we had a good number of hikers show (ten I believe) and all was well with the world.  We even had the ever entertaining Bob McGavock as our hike leader to show us the way as he led us from the Heiss Mtn trailhead towards the Big Possum Creek Bridge which was to be our destination.  The mileage going in and coming out would amount to just under 3 miles but as Bob would put it, “this is the hardest 3 miles on the entire Cumberland Trail”.  The trail was damp from the previous rains over the weekend so that made the rock fields a little more of a technical challenge to  cross at times.  As luck would have it we made it to the bridge without any injuries but along the way Bob had pointed out some strange formations on the face of some rocks which you can see among the pics I took.  Those geometric shapes are really unusual and something that normally if I were hiking by myself I would never see since I keep my head down watching the trail for obstacles and not artifacts.  It almost appears like manmade square patterns which weave across the rocks but I’m sure it was either Mother Nature spending hundreds or maybe thousands of years in providing those rocks for our enjoyment or they were some form of a language left behind by extra-terrestrials.  Something tells me I should opt for the former or have a serious talk with my psychiatrist.  But as usual I’m starting to digress so back to the hike. 

We all took a break at the bridge for pictures and then headed back up out of the gorge and towards the trailhead where our vehicles were parked.  There we kicked around the possibility of having an early lunch together since this was a short hike and we made it out by about 11:00 a.m..  It was decided we would all meet at the Blue Ribbon Café in Soddy Daisy where we each had a great meal and some friendly conversation.  After departing from the group and heading home I came to the realization that I’m going to have to reevaluate my analytical way of thinking – where I only go on hikes that I feel benefit me solely for the health benefits because I definitely brought back more from the hike today than I left my home with earlier that morning.  That was the fact that I had forgotten how much in the past I’ve always enjoyed my time spent sharing thoughts and stories on the trail with fellow hikers that I consider my friends.  So I guess in the end I shouldn’t constantly judge my hikes by how many trail miles I can hike and how fast I can hike them but how many memories I can make on the trail with friends.  Because really isn’t that what life’s all about - making memories?   For a few pictures, click here or on the Heiss Mountain tab above.  

 Happy Hiking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment